Thursday, August 23, 2007

my horoscope this week on facebook is:

Sagittarius:

Reading the fine print this week will save you from getting yourself into something you'd regret. Pay close attention to details.

Seriously, I don't put a lot of stock into these things at all. It is just too freaky that this is what the gods at facebook are giving me this week.

So, I guess I can say what has been going on with me this week.

It should not be any surprise to you that I have been having major work related issues this past year. It has been one thing after another lately.

Well, I was summoned to a meeting, on my last day of vacation, for this past Monday morning.

It was at this point, I was notified that in order to control the growing "overhead" of the head office, both myself and my "friend" would be given positions as Restaurant Managers, at the two worst stores (again) and maintain our salary.

Now, before I go on. I know -- I should be grateful that they are willing to keep me on at a position in the company and not lose any pay. I get that.

However -- you didn't think it was that simple did ya? -- when asked the question " What happens if we don't want to be Restaurant Managers?"

I was told this : " We will talk severance. "

For me, this is a life changing moment. I have worked there for 18 years now-- more than half my life was devoted to a brand. And now THEY tell me that I can leave.

Sure, they make it sound like they want us to stay, tell us how great we have done lately, fixing up the two restaurants we were sent to salvage. Yep -- it was easy peasy. The problem for me anyways, is the hours. I can't and won't work the late nights, and long hours anymore.

What about my kids? Seriously, who did they think would be able to just keep them at daycare longer, or even pick them up all the time. Sure, my mom helps out when she can, but I will NOT make her watch my kids 24/7.

Anyway, I am still awaiting news of the severance package, so I can decide what I am going to do. It has been 48hours and there has not even been a response yet to my email.

I contacted a lawyer last night, for legal advice. Feeling a little stressed about the whole thing. Haven't been sleeping well, and man, haven't even thought of touching a scrapping supply since.

Anyway, just didn't want to keep this a secret -- since it is not that big of one anyway. But, if you do happen to know anyone that works with me, please keep it hush hush for now.

Cross your fingers for me, that this will be over soon. I feel like it is mental torture waiting for a response. Just ridiculous that after 18 years, I would be treated like this.

Thanks for your support.

Nick-out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would feel stressed out too. I'm prone to anxiety attacks so that would most likely what would happen to me. I'm sorry you're going thru this but we are here for you. With a severance, it will give you a chance to be home with your kids and still help out with expenses. And you could always find another job elsewhere on your own terms with the experience you have.
Hang in there girl!!

Boo said...

So sorry to hear you are going through all this Nick! They say that work is one of the biggest stressers out there, especially when it's about losing a job.

I'm not sure exactly what you do there but sounds like you have been a key player in helping them shape-up.

I've had issues with my employer too in the past (still do but at least I'm on loan somewhere else until March 2008) and it is not pleasant at all.

Hang in there! We are here for you to lean on! Hugs,
Carole