Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Negative Space


There is a trend out there now using the negative space on projects. With the Silouette Cameo making a big impact right now in the scrapping world - more and more people are creating their own images and diecuts. The negative space I am talking about is the cut out portion from a machine such as this, or if you don't have one like me, punches!

For this months' projects over at Scrapbook Circle - I tried to use this trend, although I don't have the fancy tool to do it! (though I reallllly want one about now)

I love the look of the cut out designs - but I just can't afford the machine + all right now... so, I used my punches to work the same way. Here are a couple examples of how I did this on a few projects this month.
First up is this page - I initally started by punching out a bunch of the numbers off the back of the green gridded Echo Park paper - then I used that same paper in a strip on the page. See the negative space?  I punched larger circles out of another paper and added it as well.
Next up is this page - see the star that I punched out in the page above? Well, I cut around the paper with my trimmer and used the punched out part on this page here, along with more of that green circle punched paper too:
and lastly, there is this page - I punched some hearts from a kraft tag I had in my stash and then layered some papers from the kit behind them. I pop dotted the middle heart over the punched out shape.
I hope that you will give this idea a try - fancy machine or not!!
The July kits will be out soon - make sure you keep checking out the Scrapbook Circle site for details!

5 comments:

Diana Waite said...

BEAUTIFULLY done!

Tamika said...

Your layouts are so trending now Nicole if you didn't spill the beans I wouldn't have known!

Julie said...

OMW! It has been so long since I read your blog.Love these layouts.The boys are getting so big.Great papers too.

Julie said...

OMW! It has been so long since I read your blog.Love these layouts.The boys are getting so big.Great papers too.

angie ashuk said...

Nic, you dont need a fancy machine, your pages are amazing without one!!